Saturday, November 28, 2009


It's not novel to notice that as a person becomes a 'runner', a great deal of his (read 'his/her') personality becomes evident in his approach to the sport. Most new runners are very meticulous in taking very specific amounts of sport drink, gobbling their gu at very precise mile markers, etc. I felt a bit guilty when I started running because I wasn't that scientific.
Then I heard Anthony Famiglietti at the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon and he told how he ate Mcdonald's for two solid weeks in China and competed successfully at the same time. This story confirmed to me that, like everything else in life, you have to personalize your approach to running to ensure it remains an integral part of your life and not an overwhelming burden that you begin to despise.
I'm sure that Fam doesn't exist on lard and sugar, but there is a certain freedom that comes from being open to changing your lifestyle gradually and sensibly.

No comments: