Saturday, March 20, 2010


I was just thinking about previous marathons, and the Marine Corps stood out as representative of the marathons I had run up to that time. It was the fall of 2007, my fifth marathon, and all of the things you worry and fret about had gone off without a hitch. The weather was perfect. Our travel details went off without a hitch.
And yet I knew there was room for improvement. Oh sure, it was a bit hilly and a bit sunny. Yes, my legs cramped up a bit. But it was what it was. And I could do better. I knew that. I could train smarter and more often. I could tweak my diet. There were plenty of decisions to be made that could affect future outcomes.
And guess what? When you develop that habit of approaching your training, when you take the approach that everything you do can be done just a bit better, it starts to affect everything. Every nook and cranny of your life starts to have cleaner edges.
And that's what a life of running is all about.

No comments: